Monday, July 4, 2011

Cabin Vacation & Holiday Weekend

Hi everyone!

I hope you've all been enjoying the long weekend and have fun plans for tomorrow! As for me, I'll be going to a nearby lake with Mr. G and some friends (and Molly, of course). We'll be grilling hot dogs, swimming in the lake, and watching fireworks. Pretty standard 4th of July stuff. I'm excited, though - the weather finally warmed back up in time for the holiday weekend.

While we were at the cabin last week, it was chilly and rainy basically all week. We were pretty far up north at Lake Vermillion, but I was still hoping for warmer weather. We got one nice day and took full advantage of it - Mr. G and I came back burnt and bug-bitten. But we still had a good time. The guys went fishing a lot, and I even went a few times! It was my first time actually fishing, and I ended up catching a total of 10 fish - 9 in one day. They were all small perch, but I was still pleased with myself. :)


my best catch - a fat perch

As for the rest of the week, I spent it reading, playing Wii with the kids, watching McHale's Navy, and I even fit in some shopping. I finally read a book my mom gave to me back when I moved to Connecticut - Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter. She had read it as part of her book club and even got to meet the author, Lisa Patton, who happens to live in my hometown. She gave it to me because it's about a Southern girl struggling to adapt to life in New England (Vermont, specifically). Although the New England portrayed in the book was nothing like the New England I experienced (less maple syrup; more Jersey shore), it was still a fun read that was perfect for a vacation up north. Also, I did survive a couple nor'easters in CT, and they were bad even by New England standards, so I think (hope) I'll be ready for my first Minnesota winter!

All in all, we had a fun, relaxing cabin vacation. But I must admit it was very nice to come home to my bed...

Here are a few more photos from the trip:






Mr. G and me at a local restaurant


happy Molly on her first boat ride :)






In other news, I have officially started my internship at the ADA, and so far it's going well. I've even gotten a work perk already - free Twins tickets! Mr. G and I went to the game last night with some friends, and even though the Twins lost (in the freaking 9th inning), we had a fun time and I got to wear my new Twins shirt. :)

I'm sad to say that I won't be making cupcakes for the 4th. :( I was hoping to make festive blueberry and strawberry cupcakes, but Mr. G and I have stayed busy all weekend with friends and family. Plus, we'll be outside all day tomorrow, which isn't the best condition for cupcakes if you don't like them melted. But let me know what you're baking for the holiday! I'd love to hear your patriotic recipes. :)

Happy 4th!

<3 Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...