Wednesday, July 6, 2011

State Shutdown & Wedding Season

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all surviving your post-4th week - if you're not still celebrating, that is. I've noticed traffic has been significantly lighter the last couple of days, which I've attributed to typical post-holiday vacation, but I suppose it could also be because thousands of government workers are without a job. If you haven't heard, the Minnesota government shut down early Friday morning of last week due to budget disagreements - a.k.a. Governor Dayton's obstinance, as some see it. As a result, all state parks and rest stops are closed (imagine how that went over on the 4th), over 20,000 people are laid off (the most in state history), and it is costing the government millions of dollars every day they stay closed as well as continuing to slow down the economy (which will only lead to more budget disagreements, I'm sure). Gotta love the irony of a government shutdown right before Independence Day... So much for patriotism, but I'm sure the anarchists partied extra hard over the weekend - and probably did so illegally in the state parks. C'est la vie.

One thing that hasn't been affected by state shutdowns (or anything for that matter) is an annual event that provokes both excitement and dread among people nationwide - wedding season. It runs from May to October but is heaviest in June and July. Anyone with a Facebook has undoubtedly already witnessed wedding season in full swing as friends/acquaintances/randos make their relationships "Facebook official" right after popping the question / getting hitched as well as post incessant status updates about invitations, dress shopping, family drama, an up-to-the-minute guest count, and of course, the solicitation of RSVPs.

I can't pretend to have been immune to bridezilla syndrome. The symptoms are high stress levels, uncharacteristically excessive social media usage, mild panic attacks, and occasional outbursts on innocent bystanders (often the groom). I attempted to suppress my crazy by intentionally limiting my tweets and Facebook posts, keeping a wedding blog for those who cared to know all the details (as well as for myself), and talking everything through with poor Mr. G. One thing that's cool about being a bride is the support group - you become reacquainted with old friends and classmates who are also getting married and provide one another with encouragement and advice; plus they are people who don't mind sharing in your excitement since they feel it, too.

My first anniversary is actually coming up in September (yay!), so Mr. G and I have decided to take a trip down to Nashville over Labor Day weekend - we booked our flights tonight since they were the cheapest we've seen in over a month. I'm so excited! I haven't been home since January. We plan to stay at a nice hotel on our anniversary night (September 4th), but the rest of the time we'll stay with my parents. The best news is that my cake topper is still in my parents' freezer (thanks to our nomadic lifestyle), so Mr. G and I will actually get to eat our wedding cake on our anniversary! I'm sure it will taste terrible, but it's the thought that counts...

For all those getting engaged/married this summer - Congrats! I hope you enjoy every moment, I wish you all the blessings in the world, and I look forward to creeping on your wedding photos when you post them on Facebook. ;)

Feel free to comment with any funny/crazy bridezilla moments you've seen (or experienced firsthand) as well as opinions about the MN government fail.

<3 Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...