Wednesday, June 29, 2011

(Belated) Sunday Recipe #2: Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache





Hi everyone!

Long time no see... Sorry for the delay in posts! I was in northern MN at a cabin all last week with the  family. We didn't end up crossing over into Canada after all (Mr. G was afraid I'd get stuck because of my outdated passport), but we had a nice, relaxing week that I will relay in my next post.

For this post, I'm attempting to catch up on one of the Sunday recipes I missed with my latest cupcake confection - mocha cupcakes with chocolate ganache!

Let me begin by announcing that I am no longer a mall employee... I quit my job just before going on vacation. My managers and coworkers were all really sweet, and I was treated well, but it was time to leave retail. My last week was also our biggest sale of the season, so I was scheduled for my first (and hopefully only) overnight floorset shift. It was also a potluck for us associates, so of course I seized the opportunity to try a new cupcake recipe. Here it is:

Mocha Cupcakes (from my 200 Cupcakes recipe book):

  • Ingredients:
    • 1 cup water
    • Heaping 1 cup superfine sugar
    • 1/2 cup lightly salted butter (I used unsalted)
    • 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 2 tbsp coffee granules
    • 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Directions:
    • Line muffin pan with paper/foil liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    • Put water and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the butter, cocoa powder, baking soda, and coffee granules and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool. (Try a little bit - it legitimately tastes like mocha!)
    • Beat flour and eggs into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour cake mixture into muffin pan.
    • Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and firm. 
    • Makes 1 dozen cupcakes.

Chocolate Ganache (from my faves Katherine and Sophie at Georgetown Cupcake):

  • Ingredients:
    • 2 cups water
    • 2 cups chocolate chips 
    • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • Directions:
    • Put 2 cups water in a pot and bring to a boil.
    • Place large heat-resistant bowl on top of boiling pot.
    • Pour chocolate chips and heavy cream into bowl.
    • Stir continuously until chocolate chips are melted and mixture is smooth and shiny. This process should only take 3 minutes. :)
    • When ganache is ready, "dip and twist" cupcakes into mixture and add desired topping.

Here are photos of the ganache and the finished cupcakes:








FYI - these cupcakes taste even better than they look. They're perfect for both chocolate and coffee lovers alike, and they're practically necessary for all-nighters (that's how I justify it). 

Hope you enjoy! I'll report on the vacation soon. Feel free to comment with any yummy coffee recipes you recommend.

<3 Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...