Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Hi everyone!

As you know from my "Mother of Two" post, I am playing mom this week to Mr. G's youngest siblings. It has gone pretty well for the most part, but I can see why a mother's patience gets tested at times... I feel bad for being so fussy about my food as a child, because now - for the first time - I am cooking for somewhat picky eaters. They're older, so they aren't too bad, but they aren't as willing as Mr. G to eat everything I put before them. The good news is that they are pretty self-sufficient, so I don't have to make every meal for them, but cooking steak for everyone last night was a bit of a struggle.

One meal they definitely liked was the first one I cooked - Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. I got it from my Spark Recipes app, which is known for its healthy recipes. All the ingredients in this (except the cheese) are, in fact, healthy - grilled chicken, fat free sour cream, fat free chicken soup, and veggies. And they were delicious!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. fat free sour cream
  • 1 can fat free cream of chicken soup (I used chicken broth)
  • 1 tbls. fresh chopped cilantro (1/2 tbls. dried)
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast (I added a container of pulled chicken breast from the Mexican aisle that had its own sauce - good combination!)
  • 1 can Mexican Rotel
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 16 corn tortillas (I only used 11, but I got the larger ones)
  • 8 oz. shredded pepper jack and colby cheese blend (I just used a Mexican cheese blend)
  • 1 can diced green chiles (I left these out)
Directions:
  • In a saucepan, mix together sour cream, soup, and cilantro. Heat through and set aside.
  • Combine the chicken, Rotel, onions and green chiles in a pan. Heat until onions are transparent.
  • Warm the tortillas until flexible. Then fill each tortilla with about 2 tbls. of the chicken mixture and about 1 tbls. of the cheese (for larger tortillas, I did 3 tbls. chicken mixture and about 2 tbls. cheese).
  • Roll tortilla up and place seam side down in an 8x11 dish sprayed with cooking spray (I also had to use my 9x9 pan).
  • Pour over the sour cream sauce and top with the remaining cheese.
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
  • Supposedly makes 8 servings of 2 enchiladas each, but mine made 5-6 servings of 2 each.
I served the enchiladas with Mexican rice and refried beans. It was fantastic. Nobody else really liked the beans, but I love them, so I was very pleased.

We took the kids to see Rio last night (yay for cheap movie Tuesday!), and it was SO cute. In addition, I tried lacrosse and discovered a hidden talent for it. Finally a sport I can play!! Tonight we'll go swimming and tomorrow: tennis. I work both days as well, so this continues to be a busy week. The kids are home-schooled, so unlike Mr. G and me, they end up having a lot of free time. All I can say is, thank goodness we have a Wii!

As for my job hunt, I had two more interviews yesterday - 1 with a recruiter, and 1 for another internship. Recruiters are great resources, so I'm excited to see what comes out of that. And as for the internship, I already got invited back for a second interview on Friday. I'm feeling a lot more confident about my chances now - I'm bound to get something out of all these interviews. In fact, I'm starting to worry that I may end up with too many options to choose from... But that sure would be a nice problem to have. 

Wish me luck the rest of this week! ;) 

<3 Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...