Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Recipe #1 - Mexican Shrimp Bisque





Hello all,

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. I've decided to start posting a new recipe every Sunday - hopefully I keep it up!

I haven't tried any creative new recipes recently (with the exception of cupcakes, of course), so the one I'm posting today is actually one I made while in Connecticut - Mexican Shrimp Bisque. I got the recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook, which I received as an engagement present last year from my in-laws. It's a great, well-organized cookbook, and this recipe in particular is amazing. Very time-consuming, though - it was my first time peeling and cooking raw shrimp. The soup wasn't challenging to make once the shrimp was finally peeled and cut - it's just a matter of heating all the ingredients until the shrimp is cooked and the bisque is at the right consistency.

The odd thing about this recipe is that it doesn't make much at all. I ended up doubling the recipe to serve two, so you might need to triple or quadruple it depending on how many you are cooking for. Nevertheless, it's a delicious Cajun/Mexican soup that is sure to become a favorite if you like seafood and spice.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I think I used the equivalent of already minced garlic)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces - add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil).
  • Serve and garnish with cilantro (if desired).
Hope you like! Enjoy your week!

<3 Mrs. G

P.S. I start my internship this week. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...