I'm interrupting my usual programming to give you another random list of things I find humorous. As you may remember from a previous post, I was a hipster for one of my Halloween costumes this year (see photo below). So after taking on the persona of one and then enlightening my boss as to the fascinating subculture he has been missing out on, I've come to realize that I have a slight obsession with hipsters. Maybe it's because they are so defiantly maverick and at the same time hilariously conformist (I swear they all own the same plaid button-down... It's a conspiracy). Or maybe it's because, in spite of their questionable wardrobe and occasional body odor, they have a certain charm to them. Or maybe it's because I keep waiting to see one of them pass out on account of his/her skinny jeans being suffocatingly tight. Regardless, I find them interesting, and I enjoy observing them in their natural habitats. Here's what I've gathered from my observations (these are generalizations, mind you):
You know you're a hipster when...
- You live in Portland, Brooklyn (Williamsburg to be exact), San Francisco, East Nashville or Minneapolis.
- You know the differences between East Coast and West Coast hipsters.
- Your favorite band is Foster the People.
- Your favorite movie is either Little Miss Sunshine or (500) Days of Summer.
- You wear skinny jeans every single day. Hot... Cold... You even wear them swimming.
- You own at least 2 pairs of Toms.
- Your go-to shirts are deep v-necks and flannel button-downs. That's it. Nothing else.
- You always wear a hat - either a beanie or one of those shapeless, unflattering sock hats. When you're not wearing a hat, you hair is parted Mad Men style if you're a guy, and if you're a girl, you just pretend like you've never heard of a comb.
- You wear big retro glasses. Even if you have perfect vision.
- You're either ridiculously skinny or have the start of a nice beer gut.
- You work at some obscure, off-the-beaten-path coffee shop, dive bar or cafe.
- You probably own a bike but may not have cable.
- You have a lot of Twitter followers who can appreciate your witticism.
- You are currently "occupying" whatever city you live in (see #1 for list) even though you probably still get an allowance from your parents.
- You expect to achieve your eventual fame either through your blog, your blossoming music career, your brilliant iPhone app idea, or YouTube.
Feel free to add onto my list. ;)
Next post: back to my usual programming with a pumpkin cupcake recipe!
<3 Mrs. G
P.S. As a disclaimer, I have hipster friends and have even been guilty of a few hipster-like habits myself (for example, that sock hat is mine...), so no hate! I love hipsters; I just think they're hilarious.
P.P.S. I wrote all this on my iPad. Winning!