Monday, October 3, 2011

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

Hi everyone,

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend. I had a simple but relaxing one that ended tonight with one of my favorite soups: Mexican shrimp bisque. I made it for the first time last fall but tweaked it a little this time, and I have to say it was better! If you followed my previous blog, you'll recognize this recipe, but note the changes. Also, I've doubled (and occasionally tripled) everything from the original recipe to make enough for 3-4 (which is usually enough for Mr. G and me). This is another great fall soup, but like the southwestern corn chowder, it is a bit spicy.

P.S. This was my third soup this weekend and the second I've made in a couple weeks. I think fall is officially here?

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 5 sodium-free chicken bouillon packets/cubes
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander (I recommend buying it ground as opposed to grinding it yourself)
  • 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I bought them cooked this time, but either way is fine)
  • 1 cup sour cream
Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender.
  • Pour in stock pot and stir in flour until blended.
  • Stir in the water, cream, chili powdeer, bouillon, cumin and coriander - bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces and add to soup.
  • Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
  • Gradually pour 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; stir and return to pan, stirring constantly.
  • Heat through (do not boil).
  • Enjoy!
I also have to catch you up on a couple other recipes - Mr. G's favorite banana birthday cake (also with a couple tweaks from last year) and my mom's amazing sauteed mushrooms. So stay tuned for those! I also have a nearly complete bucket list ready to share soon.

Unfortunately, I still haven't finished my mossy monogram... I'm finding lately that I just don't have the energy for crafting AND cooking, so I tend to pick the one that keeps us alive. Go figure. I bought the extra glue at least, so my hope is to have the G done by next weekend. In the meantime, I'll continue gathering inspiration on Pinterest. :)

<3 Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...