Thursday, December 6, 2012

I Pinned It, I Did It: Ruffled Burlap Tree Skirt

 

Let the Christmas crafting begin!

You've probably seen DIY ruffled tree skirts all over Pinterest. I've been attracted to the burlap ones since -- like everyone else -- I'm obsessed with burlap.  I wanted to replace my current tree skirt anyway (it looks like a santa suit), so I decided to give it a shot.

I used the tutorial from this blog: My Crazy Life

I would post the tutorial on here, but her directions are very detailed and come with photos. I followed them almost exactly.

Here are the only points I'll add:
  • Consider the size of your tree before you start. My tree skirt is actually a little too big for my tree... I still love it, and we'll "grow into it" someday when we have a bigger tree. But if you have one of those tall, skinny trees, you may want to cut a smaller square for your base, or you'll end up with a tree DRESS.
  • Burlap DOES NOT ruffle. It is too stiff of a fabric. If you use burlap, you have to make PLEATS with the fabric strips, which basically means a lot of folding and gluing. See this blog for examples and photos.
  • I used 3-inch strips of fabric with the exception of the top row, which I made bigger (4 1/2 inches) to keep from having two short rows. I thought the strips were perfect, but I do wish the top row matched the rest. All in all, it took 3 1/2 yards of fabric with a few strips leftover.
  • I used a painter's canvas drop cloth for the base of the skirt (like the blogger), but I couldn't find one even close to 4x4, so I bought a 6x9 (I think) and cut it down to a 4x4 square. It worked great as a base fabric, though -- it's sturdy enough, and the neutral color doesn't show through.
  • Cut holes on the sides of the skirt before you start gluing fabric so you don't forget. This way you can tie the two sides together behind your tree.
  • Keep your extra fabric strips. I used two of mine to tie the skirt sides. They make pretty matching burlap bows. :)
  • DON'T bother with Goop. It's messy, smelly and ineffective. Hot glue only. But if you're working with burlap, be careful not to burn yourself! (I did, many times....)
  • This project took me about 8-10 hours when it was all said and done. I split it up over a period of almost 2 weeks. I wouldn't recommend doing it all in one sitting unless you don't mind being sore EVERYWHERE. Seriously, I felt like an old woman doing this. I had to take breaks every 15 minutes or so...



What Christmas crafts are you making this year? Have you made a tree skirt?

<3 Mrs. G

P.S. I'm accepting suggestions and recipes for Christmas baking...

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! This is beautiful!!! Would loom perfect with our tree... But I'm not feeling adventurous enough to try making it... Maybe next year - my HobbyLobby skirt will suffice for now. You've pinspired me ;)

    I'm finding all kinds of good holiday baking ideas... Check out my Pinterest boards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You should totally make one. They are not hard, just very time-consuming. And I will check out your Pinterest... I've been pinning quite a few myself! I'm thinking: cookies (obviously), cake pops, cupcakes, haystacks and my mother-in-law's caramels. It's a lot, but I want to attempt to make them all! We'll see ha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...