Monday, June 25, 2012

Living Intentionally - A Blueprint for Self-Improvement

Ok, so I know it's been 6 months since my last post. I hate to use the whole "life is busy" excuse... But really. Life has been INSANE.

Here is a quick recap of what I've been up to:
  • I trained for and ran my first half marathon. :) I've been posting on my company blog since January about my training, so feel free to go on over there and check it out.
  • WE BOUGHT A CABIN. With Mr. G's sister and brother-in-law. In Northern Minnesota. On a lake! A dream I didn't even know I had has been realized.
And here are a couple photos to catch you up:






Now that I have accomplished two large bucket list items (one completely unexpected, one seemingly impossible) in the course of 6 months, I'm left with a bit of a void to fill. Not that I'm not incredibly happy and grateful, because I am, but I crave forward motion. I prefer having a goal to pursue at all times, and being between goals leaves me feeling directionless. However, it's these times that can be the most rewarding because I'm constantly seeking, absorbing, and reflecting.

I've been gathering a lot of inspiration lately from several sources (work, church, training, Pinterest, this blogger), and everything is pointing me to the realization that I have a desire to live more intentionally. By this, I mean that I want to live a fulfilling, inspiring and faith-driven life by attempting to become the best possible version of myself. My hope is to bring a larger purpose and theme to my life by accomplishing a lot of really small things - or just doing them better. The thing is, I fully expect not to succeed at this, but that's not the point. The point is to try. The point is to set a higher standard for myself and do my best to uphold it. Here are some quotes supporting my point:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
-- John Bingham


"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
-- C.S. Lewis

"To possess high ideas and to attain somewhat unto them."
-- Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose

I decided to come up with a list of things to strive toward on a regular basis in order to make me happier, healthier, less selfish, more compassionate, more productive, and an overall better person. Here goes...

Steps To A Better Me

Every Year:
  • Travel somewhere new - near or far
  • Volunteer at least once
  • Donate 3 times per year to causes/charities outside of tithing
  • Finish a book every 3 months
Every Month:
  • Have 1 "media-free night" - no phone, TV, internet, etc.
  • Try 1 new cooking recipe
  • Try 1 new cupcake/baking recipe
  • Have 1 or 2 date nights with Mr. G
  • Do 1 random act of kindness for someone
  • Drink no more than 2 sodas
  • Explore somewhere local
  • Work remote from a coffee shop one Friday
  • BLOG
  • Attempt 1 new DIY project every other month
  • Buy something (can be small!) once every other month that makes me feel pretty or confident
Every Week:
  • Exercise 3 days/week
  • Do 1 selfless act for Mr. G
  • Say a long prayer for everyone I love
  • Bible study with Mr. G 
Every Day:
  • Get 6+ hours of sleep
  • Practive positivity
  • Pray
  • Read my Bible - except on Saturdays :)
Whenever Possible:
  • Join a women's lifegroup at church
  • Write and submit a piece for publication
  • Run a 5K in less than 30 minutes.
  • Run a half marathon in 2:15
  • Run a full marathon
  • Clean out closet and donate clothes
  • Drink more water
  • Drink more wine :)
  • Go on a global missions trip with my church
  • Put a sincere effort into initating and maintaining friendships
  • Sign up for baking and/or cake decorating classes
  • Sign up for graphic design classes (through work possibly?)
  • COMPLAIN LESS and be thankful more
What do you think of my list? What would you put on yours?

<3 Mrs. G

    3 comments:

    1. Your list overwhelms me!!!! I think maybe I unconsciously do some of these things anyway without realizing it. I feel like if I had a list like this, I'd end up beating myself up every time I didn't meet a goal... But you're such a list person it will probably be fine for you!!! I wish y'all lived near me, I'd do a cake decorating class with you!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Haha, yeah I can see that. I wrote it more as a wish list rather than a check list, and instead of picking certain things out I just wanted to write it all down. I know I won't do all of these things in a given year, but my plan is just to be more conscious of my actions and how I spend my time/money. Plus, some of them are things I'm already doing that I want to keep up, so I can technically cross those off. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I like the "whenever possible" category. :)

      I have also heard/experienced the fun from a "give compliments" resolution.

      For exploration: halfoffdepot.com, groupon.com and scoutmob.com for adventures. We've gotten awesome travel and food deals.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...